Counselors from across Massachusetts benefited from participation in The Academy’s GSA Schedule Workshop on July 23 and 24, 2015.
The business counselors — representatives of the Massachusetts Procurement Technical Assistance Center (PTAC) — received guidance, advice, and hands-on consulting on the GSA Schedule proposal preparation process. The PTAC is a part of the Small Business Development Center Network at the University of Massachusetts Amherst.
Participants were given access to exclusive templates and sample narratives based on successful GSA Schedule offers, and well as a step-by-step workbook.
The federal General Services Administration (GSA) awards about $50 billion in blanket contracts known as “Schedules” to hundreds of companies each year. According to the GSA, 80 percent of Schedule contractors are small businesses who are successful at 36% of those sales. The process to win one of these contracts begins with a proposal, an arduous task that typically takes several months to prepare.
Thanks to Georgia Tech’s workshop, a GSA proposal can be completed in a matter of a few days. Some businesses have actually submitted their proposals during the two-day workshop. Others have easily completed and submitted their proposals in as little as 30 days.
For the University of Massachusetts PTAC counselors, learning the Schedule proposal process represents an enhancement of their business advisory skills. The Academy’s instructors engaged the counselors in the preparation of an actual MOBIS Schedule proposal, recently consolidated by GSA along with several other Schedules into the 00CORP Schedule.
Here’s a sampling of what the UMass counselors had to say about Georgia Tech’s workshop:
- “I expected an in-depth overview of the Schedule application process, and that is what we received.”
- “I valued the ‘off-the-script’ discussions and comments by the instructors.”
- “I got in-depth, step-by-step instructions with screen shots, the required steps, and documents on how to prepare and complete a proposal for a GSA contract.”
- “I would definitely recommend this to other PTACs and small businesses.”
- “A great informative and interactive workshop! Excellent instructors!”
- “The examples, the scenarios, and the personal experience that was shared were very helpful. The workbook and screen shots were excellent.”
- “I got valuable tips as a PTAC Counselor to help clients navigate the various sections of a GSA solicitation and proposal — and much, much more!”
- “Thank you for a high-value training session!”
Chuck Schadl, Georgia Tech’s group manager for government contracting services, emphasized the significance of hands-on instruction. “Learn-by-doing is one of the most effective instructional methods. That’s why we conduct our GSA Schedule Workshop using templates, practical tips, and advice based on real-life experiences. We immerse Workshop participants in the actual proposal preparation process.”
For more information about the GSA Schedule Workshop, please visit: http://contractingacademy.gatech.edu/gsa-schedule-workshop
To register for an upcoming Workshop, please visit: https://epay.gatech.edu/C20793_ustores/web/store_main.jsp?STOREID=100