A group of Delaware business people braved snowy conditions on the morning of February 26th to gather at the Biotechnology Institute on the main campus of the University of Delaware (UDEL) to learn about the significance of the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) to their participation in federal contracts.
The educational workshop was hosted by the PTAC of Delaware Program, part of the University of Delaware’s Office of Economic Innovation and Partnerships, Small Business Development Center. UDEL’s Juanita Beauford made arrangements for the workshop to be conducted by representatives of The Contracting Education Academy at Georgia Tech (The Academy).
The businesses were provided with a half-day of intensive instruction on how to use the FAR, along with insights into how the government plans, forms, and administers its contracts. Each participant was provided with a 190-page workbook mirroring the workshop’s content, along with FAR flash cards and a contract administration pocket guide. “We’re confident the attendees will find the workshop’s materials to be useful desktop references for years to come,” pointed out Chuck Schadl, group manager for government contracting services at The Academy.
Lead instructor Kevin Grimes led the business group through a thorough examination of the FAR and its implications for contractors. Covered topics in the “Complete FAR Guide for Businesses” workshop included:
- Market research and how the government defines its needs.
- Commercial item determinations and acquisition strategies.
- The concept of full and open competition.
- The Simplified Acquisition Procedures.
- The government’s small business policy.
- The principles of contract formation.
- Solicitation and evaluation of offers.
- Source selection, debriefings, and protests.
- Adjustments in contract terms, modifications, and claims.
- Quality assurance, acceptance, and payment.
- Disputes, appeals, and contract terminations and close-outs.
Highlighted during the workshop were 24 “Win Tips” — informational resources and strategies designed to help businesses better understand contracting standards in order to win contracts with the government. Workshop participants also were given access to an exclusive web site where government contracting resources are maintained for the business community.
Business groups interested in arranging for the “Complete FAR Guide for Businesses” workshop to be brought to their community may contact The Contracting Academy at Georgia Tech at 404-894-6109 or info@ContractingAcademy.gatech.edu.