There are several changes to the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) that become effective in 2014. Among the more prominent changes are:
- Accelerated Payment to Small Business Subcontractors. This final rule (78 Fed. Reg. 70477) amends the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) to implement the policy provided by Office of Management and Budget (OMB) Memoranda M-12-16, dated July 11, 2012, and M-13-15, dated July 11, 2013, by incorporating a new clause to provide accelerated payments to small business. This final rule is effective December 26, 2013.
- DoD, GSA and NASA Propose Amendment to FAR Regarding Higher-Level Contract Quality Requirements. DoD, GSA and NASA are proposing to amend the FAR to clarify when to use higher-level quality standards in solicitations and contracts, and to update the examples of higher-level quality standards by revising obsolete standards and adding two new industry standards that pertain to quality assurance for avoidance of counterfeit items, 78 Fed. Reg. 72620, December 3, 2013. These standards will be used to help minimize and mitigate counterfeit items or suspect counterfeit items in government contracting. Comments on the proposed rule are due February 3, 2014.
- DoD Issues Final Rule Regarding Item Unique Identifier Update. DoD issued a final rule amending the Defense Federal Acquisition Regulation Supplement (DFARS) to update and clarify requirements for unique identification and valuation of items delivered under DoD contracts, 78 Fed. Reg. 76067, December 16, 2013. This final rule is effective December 16, 2013.
- DoD Issues Final Rule Regarding Operational Contract Support. DoD issued a final rule establishing policy, assigning responsibilities, and providing procedures for operational contract support (OCS), including OCS program management, contract support integration, and integration of defense contractor personnel into contingency operations outside the United States, 78 Fed. Reg. 72572, December 3, 2013. This rule was published as an interim final rule on December 29, 2011 (76 FR 81807), to procedurally close gaps and ensure the correct planning, oversight and management of DoD contractors supporting contingency operations, by updating the existing outdated policy. The then existing policies were causing significant confusion, as they did not reflect current practices and legislative mandates. The inconsistencies between local Geographic Command guidance and the DoD-wide policies and the DFARS were confusing for those in the field–in particular, with regard to policy on accountability and visibility requirements. This final rule is effective January 2, 2014.
- State Dept. Issues Final Rule Regarding Acquisition Regulation. The Department of State (State) issued a final rule adopting as final certain changes proposed to the State Acquisition Regulation (DOSAR) to conform to FAR changes, 78 Fed. Reg. 76074, December 16, 2013. This final rule adds a new DOSAR clause and provision regarding reporting certain categories of government furnished and contractor-acquired property. This final rule is effective January 15, 2014.
Excerpted from PilieroMazza’s Weekly Update Report at http://www.pilieromazza.com/weekly-update-newsletter